Choosing a school for your child is one of the most important decisions you will make which will directly affect the course of their life. It is also one of the biggest investments you will make, especially if it is a fee paying or international school. Here is our take on “What to consider when choosing a school for your child?”.
Factors to take into account when choosing a school for your child:
There are several factors that you need to consider when choosing the right school for your child. It is often a good idea to also sit with your child whilst going through some of these factors
Learning Objectives and Values
One of the most important factors to consider when choosing a school for your child is the school’s learning objectives and values. These should align with your own values and beliefs about education. For example, if you value a strong emphasis on STEM education, you should look for a school that offers a strong STEM program. Additionally, consider whether the school has a particular focus on languages, arts, or athletics.
Fees and Costs
Another important factor to consider is the fees and costs associated with the school. This includes tuition, books, and other expenses. It’s essential to have a clear understanding of what you can afford and what the school can offer in terms of financial aid, scholarships, or other types of financial support.
The location of the school is also an important factor to consider. This includes the school’s proximity to your home or workplace, as well as its accessibility by public transportation. Additionally, consider whether the school is located in a safe and secure neighborhood.
Your child’s needs
Lastly, consider your child’s individual needs when choosing a school. This includes their academic level, learning style, and interests. Additionally, consider whether the school has support services such as special education, counseling, or language support.
Entry requirements and Enrolment Process
When choosing a school for your child, it is important to not only consider the learning objectives and values, fees and costs, location, and your child’s individual needs, but also to check the entry requirements and enrolment process.
Factors to take into account when choosing a school for your child:
- Entry Requirements: Before enrolling your child in a school, it is important to understand the entry requirements. These can include academic qualifications, language proficiency, and entrance exams. These requirements vary depending on the school and the level of education, so be sure to check with the school directly to see if your child meets the requirements.
- Enrolment Process: Once you have determined that your child meets the entry requirements, the next step is to understand the enrolment process. This can include submitting an application, providing necessary documents, and attending an interview or entrance exam. It is important to understand the steps involved in the enrolment process and to submit all necessary documents on time to avoid delays.
- Application deadlines: Be aware of the application deadlines, as some schools have a specific time frame for accepting applications, and if you miss the deadline, you may have to wait for the next round of admissions, which can delay your child’s enrollment.
- Interviews and Entrance Exams: Some schools may require your child to attend an interview or take an entrance exam as part of the enrolment process. This is an opportunity for the school to assess your child’s abilities and for you to ask any questions you may have about the school.
- Waiting lists: In case the school is oversubscribed, you may find yourself on a waiting list. You should be aware of the school’s waiting list policy and whether you will be notified if a spot opens up.
Be sure to understand the entry requirements, enrolment process, application deadlines, interviews, entrance exams and waiting lists policies to avoid any delays in your child’s enrollment. By understanding these requirements and processes, you can ensure that your child’s enrolment in the school is a smooth and stress-free experience.
Why choose an International School?
International schools offer a unique and valuable educational experience for children, providing a broad and diverse curriculum that prepares students for a globalised world.
It’s in the name. International schools are the most diverse schools. They offer a multicultural environment where students can learn and interact with their peers from different cultures, fostering mutual understanding and respect.
Learn Multiple Languages
Additionally, international schools often provide students with the opportunity to learn multiple languages, which can be beneficial in today’s globalised economy. Many international schools offer an array of languages from Mandarin and Russian to Polish and Hindi to fulfil the needs and demands of their learning community.
Furthermore, international schools typically have a strong emphasis on academic excellence, with state-of-the-art facilities and highly-qualified teachers. Often, teachers undergo a thorough recruitment process and come from all over the world, bringing with them, a wealth of worldly experience and talent.
Typically, International schools are often better at demonstrating the value they add to a child’s mental health and well-being. They often have a multitude of inhouse specialist teachers such as Counsellors, Psychologists and Speech and Language Pathologists. All of whom are there to help and support a child throughout their school career.
International schools offer a wide range of co-curricular activities, which can help children develop their interests and talents. Because they tend to have state-of-the-art facilities, the options available for co-curricular activities are numerous and diverse and can range from fencing and rock climbing to pottery and calligraphy.
International Schools are the right choice
In summary, sending a child to an international school can provide them with a world-class education, a diverse and multicultural environment, and the opportunity to learn multiple languages, which can help them succeed in today’s globalised world. Choosing the right school for your child can be a challenging task, but taking the time to consider these factors will help you make an informed decision. Be sure to visit schools and talk to other parents, teachers, and students to get a sense of the school’s culture and community.
It’s also important to keep in mind that school culture and community can change over time, so it’s always a good idea to revisit the school and gather feedback from your child and other parents. By doing your research and gathering as much information as possible, you can make an informed decision that will best meet your child’s needs and set them up for a successful educational experience.
UNIS Hanoi’s unique offering
So you have made the decision that an international school is a right route for your child; where do you go next? With so many international schools cropping up every year, there is an overwhelming choice of options. Therefore, it’s imperative that you get to the bottom of “What to consider when choosing a school for your child?”.
UNIS Hanoi is one of only two United Nations schools in the world. Carrying the United Nations name is both a privilege and a significant amount of responsibility. At the heart of its mission and values is ensuring students are shaped to better the world. Embedded in day-to-day learning are the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which guides how the curriculum is taught, including the service learning piece, which is deeply entrenched in the school’s ethos.
It is one of the very few schools in Vietnam that teaches the IB curriculum throughout the whole school; the Primary Years Programme (PYP), Middle Years Programme (MYP) and the IB Diploma. UNIS Hanoi has 63 nationalities at the school; students come from all over the world, and this diversity is unparalleled in Vietnam. Community is also a crucial cornerstone for UNIS Hanoi. Both the parent and local community value how much work the school does to welcome everyone.
These unique features make UNIS Hanoi an attractive and dynamic educational environment for students seeking an international education.
Visit our website for more information on our enrollment process.
- UNIS Hanoi is ever-evolving, but one thing that remains is our passion to nurture and equip students to be agents of change for a better world.
- UNIS Hanoi Address23 Feb 2024Translanguaging in the Classroom: Its Advantages, Challenges, and How to Use It
- Calendar, News and Publications22 Feb 2024Generation Beta: Their Unique Traits and Tech-Shaped Learning
- Calendar, News and Publications21 Feb 2024What is Generation Alpha? 8 Characteristics of Generation Alpha
- Calendar, News and Publications21 Feb 2024Gen X vs Gen Y vs Gen Z: Differences and FAQs